We are starting remote instruction next week. We have been off for a month(1 week was spring break). But I have been going stir-crazy so I began working on remotifying lessons last week.
Before break we were getting ready to start talking about how we have used technology in the past week. Usually this unit is very discussion based, with some short grammar practice thrown in.
My goal with this unit is to get students to start seeing the structure “I have (done).
I have devised 6 days of 20-30 minute online lessons for my students, put into a module on canvas, and set so students must work through the unit activity by activity.
My hope with making everything required to move through the module is that students will see that even though things are not all graded, ALL the things we do build up to output.
- View video instructions, a screencast explaining what students ‘submit’ for EVERY activity, and explaining how modules work.
- Sign up for remind, it’s the easiest way to get ahold of me, and it guarentees a quicker response from me.
- Say hello on Flipgrid- I’m sure students want to see everyone else’s face, and I know that I do, but I know not everyone likes recording their face.
You’ll notice that I put the objective for each day in a text header in the module.
- Present Perfect Introduction. This is quick grammar lesson.
- Optional “Conjuguemos” practice
- Discussion, post a picture of how you have used tech to not be bored. I respond to EVERY post here with a sentence or two. This is the real meat and potatoes of the lesson because they are getting reading input. I make sure to ask students questions (you form) and I state whether or not I have done the thing as well (I form, so they can answer the questions).
- Vocab introduction with textivate
- Listen and Write, I will record video/audio for students to listen to and they have to do a dictation of three sentences. Now they get to HEAR ‘he usado’ and be reminded that the /h/ is silent in Spanish.
1/2. Grammar practice, low stakes, not for a grade.
3. Students read about someone’s plans for the day and they start outputting a little bit. I give feedback.
- Students Read, copy and paste, and translate sentences from a list of activities that they may or may not have done.
- Students output a little, make 3 statements of what they have NOT done during quarantine, and reply to 3 people saying what they HAVE done that the other person said they haven’t done.
- Grammar practice, not actually for a grade, but it’s a self scoring quiz. It’s actually a reading with fill in the blank.
- Listening quiz, I will make a new video based on the discussions from Day 1 and students write a detailed summary of what they hear.
- A quick writing, I’ll probably remove ALL points from this because, translators. But my hope was to give feedback on writing.
That’s it. That’s what I’m doing for the first week of Remote Instruction. The rest of the time in RI will be pretty similar in structure.
CANVAS COMMONS LINK: https://lor.instructure.com/resources/f01f060c1790404081e556620d0f8dfe?shared